Spend a Summer Staycation in Oakland & San Francisco!
Spend some time in The City AND The Town with Amtrak San Joaquins. The train takes you right to Jack London Square in Oakland, and from there you can explore all of what Oakland and San Francisco have to offer without leaving a 10-miles radius!
OAKLAND TRIP IDEAS
- Downtown Oakland is filled with beautiful murals by community artists. Rent a Bay Wheels Bike using the Lyft app to take a self-guided biking tour of all the beautiful murals in Oakland. Visit the LocalWiki for a map of murals across all of Oakland, or check out Dragon School 99’s mural tour of Chinatown.
- Take a day to hike through nature at Redwood Regional Park and Claremont Canyon Regional Preserve. Hike to the top of Claremont Canyon for expansive views of the entire Bay.
Source: East Bay Parks
- Want to grab a bite to eat? Visit Oakland has a great list of Oakland Restaurants,
- If you’re looking for a place to stay, the Jack London Square Waterfront Hotel, the Oakland Marriott City Center, and Hampton Inn at Oakland Downtown City Center are all great options.
- The Broadway Free Shuttle, the 12, and the 18 bus routes all go up and down Broadway and are good options to use to travel around downtown. Visit AC Transit RealTime for a live schedule.
SAN FRANCISCO TRIP IDEAS
- Golden Gate Park in San Francisco has lots of open green spaces, lakes, and even bison!
- San Francisco has no shortage of beautiful hiking options! We highly recommend the Marin Headlands and the Presidio.
- Source: SF Parks Conservancy
- Enjoy some food through San Francisco’s world-famous food scene! SF Travel has compiled an excellent list of San Francisco Restaurants.
- It’s good to stay near the sights for a short weekend trip. In SF there are many choices depending on what you’re going for. The Fairmont San Francisco is one of the best (and priciest) hotels in the city, and boasts an incredible view. Hotel Triton is a great location near Union Square with a cool vibe. If you want to try an Airbnb, stick to the heart of the city with this studio or get to know the Mission by staying in this condo room.
- Make sure to have a ticket or a Clipper Card on hand for local transit, and download the NextBus app for a live schedule. Bay Wheels bikes and ebikes are now available on the Lyft app, starting at just $2 per ride.